Need Commercial Litigators?
Our Commercial Litigation Attorneys Are Among Country Leaders
The commercial litigation lawyers at Colson Hicks Eidson are among the top trial attorneys in the country. In 2012, Chambers USA and Best Lawyers in America© honored many of our esteemed attorneys in the commercial litigation category.
We represent clients on a national as well as international scale in a range of commercial litigation issues. This includes business disputes, banking litigation, financial fraud, lender liability, professional malpractice, insurance coverage disputes and bad faith claims, premises liability, negligent security, business torts like breach of contract, construction, defamation, antitrust litigation as well as environmental remediation coverage.
Business Litigation Attorneys with International Experience
- Small businesses
- Architects and design professionals
- Lenders and insurers
- Individual plaintiffs
Several of our commercial litigation attorneys have been appointed to serve on national plaintiff steering committees for multijurisdictional cases. This includes the 2010 BP oil spill. Additionally, they served as court appointed receivers in actions brought by the Securities Exchange Commission (SEC) and the Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
Commercial Litigation Highlights of Our Law Firm
- Nation’s First Defective Chinese Drywall Jury Trial: In June 2010, the firm represented a Miami couple in the nation’s first defective Chinese drywall jury trial against Banner Supply Company. Banner Supply Company is a Miami-based firm that supplied the vast majority of Chinese drywall in Florida. Jurors found Banner liable for knowingly selling the defective drywall used in the couple’s home. They then awarded $2.5 million in damages. The verdict would later be instrumental in achieving a $55 million Florida class action settlement with Banner on behalf of homeowners. Additionally, the verdict led to an $80-million class action settlement with insurance companies for many of the builders and installers of the toxic material.
- $325 Million Arbitration Case in Latin America: The firm represented a Latin American media owner who held a stake in a major media venture. Several lawsuits alleged that the majority owner of the venture committed fraud in connection with the sale of the business. The matter was then resolved in arbitration with the client’s investment in the business being purchased for $325 million. This also dismissed all pending litigation.
- Landmark Verdict in Pathologist Case: The firm represented Florida Pathology Services in a “landmark case” for the nation’s health plans. A Miami-Dade Circuit Court jury awarded a $1.5 million verdict against Health Options, a Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Florida insurance plan, for withholding pathologists’ payments since 1999. The firm also represents pathologists in 11 similar suits involving more than $25 million in claims.
- Breach of Contract: Colson Hicks Eidson served as co-counsel for the plaintiff in a breach of contract lawsuit against Able Telecom Holding Corp. After a five-week jury trial, the jury awarded $31.2 million including $30 million in punitive damages to the plaintiff.
- Judgment against the Government of Aruba: The firm obtained a $19 million judgment in federal court in Miami against the government of Aruba on behalf of racecar promoter Ralph Sanchez in connection with a failed effort to build a racetrack in Aruba. The case was then settled.
- Professional Negligence: The firm obtained a $9 million arbitration award against a “Big 4” national accounting firm for professional negligence. The accounting firm failed to provide competent accounting services. This then resulted in substantial losses for the firm’s business clients.