Info in Miami & Nationwide
"Colson Hicks Eidson is recognized as one of the top litigation firms in the country, handling local, national and international litigation for a wide range of clients." - Chambers USA
Allergan’s Recall Leads to More Disturbing Findings for Textured Implants
In the wake of Allergan’s recall of their textured breast implants, new research is emerging that textured implants may be linked to breast cancer recurrence and worse breast cancer outcomes. According to JAMA Surgery, a medical journal, a “statistically significant association” is shown using textured implants. I want to be clear; this is separate data from the FDA’s findings that Allergan’s textured breast implants are linked to BIA-ALCL (Breast Implant-Associated Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma.)
With new research into textured breast implants coming to light, please take a moment and think about yourself, friends, sisters, mothers, and all the women in your life. Do you know if any of them have had breast augmentation? Have you? Put aside any uneasy feelings and start a discussion.
Women are dying. Women are suffering. Their families are suffering.
Here, at the nationally recognized Colson Hick Eidson law firm, we believe women have the right to safe implants. If that manufacturer has failed in providing a safe breast implant and you or someone you love, you need the best personal injury attorneys in Miami, Florida. You need the dedicated team at Colson Hick Eidson to fight for your rights and fight for the compensation you deserve. Our experienced attorneys have over 50 years’ experience locally, nationally, and internationally. We are here for you, Miami.
The Disturbing Evidence Calls for a Worldwide Abandonment of Textured Implants
The research coming out on textured implants comes after Allergan has issued a recall of their textured breast implants. JAMA Surgery conducted their study with 650 women diagnosed with breast cancer. They were in the early stages, had mastectomies and implant reconstruction.
- 413 of the implants were textured, while 274 used smooth implants.
- 4% of women had breast cancer recurrence in 4.5 years after their follow up.
- 2.2% of women with smooth implants did not survive.
- 6.7% of women with textured implants did not survive.
Michael Cassidy, M.D., and Daniel Roh, M.D., from the Boston University School of Medicine suggest “these risks make a case for stopping the use of textured implants.” This research adds more risks to textured implants. According to the FDA, 36 women have died from BIA-ALCL. BIA-ALCL has led to a worldwide recall for Allergan’s textured implants, Biocell. If you or someone you know has Allergan’s textured Biocell implants, please contact us immediately.
What the FDA Wants You to Know
As the FDA continues to monitor Allergan and other textured implants’ developments, there are considerations to take into account for anyone thinking of breast augmentation using implants.
- Breast implants are medical devices with varying lifespans. They are not meant to last a person’s lifetime, so additional surgeries will need to be done.
- There are numerous types of breast implants. You should know the product labeling.
- Communication with your surgeon is paramount. You need to be well informed of the decision and all the risks.
- There are both short-term and long-term risks.
- Health problems associated with connective tissue diseases (rheumatoid arthritis, lupus)
- Fatigue, memory loss, joint pain are also health problems associated with breast implants.
The FDA stresses for women to monitor their breast implants.
What Colson Hicks Eidson Can Do for You
The celebrated and nationally recognized team at Colson Hicks Eidson is here for you. Our personal injury attorneys in Miami, Florida are ranked among the top trial lawyers in the country. If you or someone you love is suffering due to textured implants, our aggressive lawyers will fight to secure you.
- Pain and suffering damages
- Coverage of medical expenses, both emergency and ongoing
- Loss of income if you are unable to work
- Possible punitive damages
- Loss of personal enjoyment damages