According to the Orlando Sentinel, guests at several of Florida’s amusement parks have been the victims of severe injuries and even death in recent years, including:
- A 22-year-old woman losing consciousness on Disney’s It’s a Small World Ride on Christmas Day 2014. The woman, who reportedly had a pre-existing condition, passed away following the incident.
- A 54-year-old woman losing consciousness on Disney’s Toy Story Midway Mania in October 2014.
- A 54-year-old man died of a heart attack in the water at Typhoon Lagoon’s Surf Pool in August 2012.
- A 64-year-old woman fell and broke her leg as she stepped off the Prince Charming Regal Carousel at Disney’s Magic Kingdom.
- A 70-year-old woman suffered a collapsed lung while on SeaWorld’s Journey to Atlantis.
How Can I Keep My Family Safe at a Theme Park?
Families should be able to concentrate on having a good time when they visit a theme park. Unfortunately, parks and their staffs can sometimes have lapses when it comes to safety, which can lead to guests being hurt or even killed.
To help families avoid injury in amusement parks, the International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions (IAAPA) has released a list of safety tips for theme park guests to follow:
- If you notice safety issues on a ride, with other guests or concerning the ride operator, report it to a manager right away.
- Keep your legs, arms, hands and feet inside rides at all times.
- Follow listed health, weight, height and age restrictions for rides.
- Follow posted safety rules for rides.
- Listen to and follow verbal instructions given by ride operators.
The injury attorneys at Colson Hicks Eidson have over 40 years of experience helping victims and their families who have been hurt because of another’s negligence. To learn more about our firm, continue to follow our blog, explore our website and check out our verdicts and settlements page.
Did You Know? In 2011, 1,415 people were injured on amusement park rides worldwide, according to the International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions.
Colson Hicks Eidson – Injury Attorneys