Personal Injury Lawyer Blog Providing
Info in Miami & Nationwide

"Colson Hicks Eidson is recognized as one of the top litigation firms in the country, handling local, national and international litigation for a wide range of clients." - Chambers USA


If You Were Exposed To Water At Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune In North Carolina, Submit Your Information By Clicking Here. Or Contact Us At: 305-476-7400

Can I Sue a Drunk Driver for My Injuries?

February 3, 2012
Colson Hicks Eidson

You hear a lot about the criminal sanctions that apply to drunken drivers. But what about the people injured by the careless acts of an intoxicated driver? If you or a loved one suffers injuries or property damage in an alcohol-related car crash, what remedies are available to you? As with any car accident, the injuries can be painful and require long-term care and rehabilitation. In addition, you will likely experience a loss of income from missed work because of your injuries. However, you have civil remedies against the drunken driver.

While the criminal court system deals with punishing the drunken driver, you can file a lawsuit against the driver in civil court for compensation for your injuries and property damage. In some cases, you may qualify for punitive damages against the responsible driver. Some key facts to look for if you are in a car crash caused by a drunken driver include:

  • Is the drunk driver under age 21?
  • Does the driver have prior arrests and convictions for drunken driving?
  • Did a bar or other establishment serve the driver after knowing he or she was intoxicated?

In addition to compensation for lost wages and medical bills, you may also receive a rental car at the expense of the responsible driver’s insurance company.

Have you suffered injuries or property damage from a drunken driver?

Colson Hicks Eidson – Florida injury lawyers