Fort Lauderdale Bus Accident Attorney
Whether you are a regular bus passenger or not, you should never have to worry about getting injured due to the careless or negligent actions of a bus driver or company. At Colson Hicks Eidson, we understand that bus crash cases can become incredibly complex and that you may need help. Our attorneys regularly handle cases throughout the State of Florida and nationwide. We are ranked among the top trial attorneys in the US. Our bus accident attorneys will thoroughly examine your case and work to secure the compensation you deserve.
How do bus accidents happen?
While there are numerous ways that bus accidents occur, there are times when the negligence or carelessness of the bus driver or bus company leads to serious injuries.
- Vehicle failure is often the cause of serious bus accidents. Regardless of what type of bus we are talking about, companies and agencies that operate them should perform regular inspections and maintenance. When a bus is not properly maintained, the following parts can malfunction:
- Tires and wheels
- And more
- Bus drivers should have their commercial driver’s licenses and follow all federal and state regulations regarding the safe operation of the bus. This includes not driving more hours than allowed on longer trips, not driving while impaired, and not driving while distracted by phones or other devices.
Bus companies and agencies have a duty to care for their passengers. By operating safely, they are helping keep others on the bus safe as well as those driving around the bus. The duty to care is different depending on which type of carrier we are discussing.
- Private carriers are those who do not necessarily serve the public. They transport individuals and goods in certain circumstances and include school, charter, coach, and corporate shuttle buses. This group can also include those that transport people to and from theme parks and cruise ships. Private carriers must uphold a reasonable amount of care to prevent accidents and injuries, defined by the amount of care an ordinary person would take under similar circumstances.
- Common carriers are buses that are available to the public. These carriers are required to act with the utmost care to ensure the safety of their passengers. This is a more strict requirement than imposed on private carriers. Common carriers must take the amount of care a prudent and competent person would take in a similar situation, including adequately training drivers and ensuring all buses are inspected and maintained.
It is time for us to get to work on your case
If you or someone you care about has been injured in a bus accident that was caused by another person’s careless or negligent actions, seek legal assistance today. At Colson Hicks Eidson, you can count on a trusted team to thoroughly investigate your case in order to secure the compensation you deserve. This can include:
- Coverage of your medical bills due to the crash
- Compensation for lost income if you cannot work
- Mental anguish damages
- Loss of enjoyment of life damages
- Possible punitive damages against the bus driver or company