West Palm Beach Truck Accident Attorney
The roadways are filled with large commercial trucks. While these vehicles are mostly safe, there are times when a truck driver or trucking company acts with carelessness or negligence. When they do, serious accidents can occur. At Colson Hicks Eidson, we are ready to step in if you have been injured. Our firm has received national recognition for its work in truck accidents. Our attorneys handle cases throughout the State of Florida (and nationwide). When you need a truck accident attorney to handle a case in West Palm Beach, we will be here to secure the compensation you need.
What causes truck accidents?
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) reports that there were 4,761 total fatalities and around 148,000 injuries caused by truck crashes during the latest full year of data available. These incidents happen in a variety of ways.
- Driver error. Truck drivers have a responsibility to operate their vehicles responsibly. The FMCSA estimates that around 40% of all truck accidents are caused by driver fatigue and the use of alcohol or drugs while operating the vehicle. Distracted driving is also a major concern. Truck drivers must follow all laws and regulations regarding the safe operation of their vehicles.
- Truck company negligence. The FMCSA requires all trucks to be regularly inspected. All truck owners and companies should immediately fix any hazards to prevent the failure of these systems: tires/wheels, powertrain, engine, lights, suspension, brakes, and more.
- Faulty manufacturing. In some cases, the manufacturer of the truck or truck parts can be held liable if they supplied owners with defective vehicles.
- Mechanic errors. The mechanic or shop that repairs the truck or installs parts could be held liable if their actions contributed to a crash.
Truck accident injuries can be catastrophic
The FMCSA says that these vehicles can weigh as much as 80,000 pounds when fully loaded. The average passenger vehicle only weighs 4,000 pounds. A collision between the two often results in serious injuries for vehicle passengers, including:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Bone fractures and dislocations
- Internal organ damage or internal bleeding
- Dismemberment or amputation
- Other injuries that inhibit a person’s daily activities
- Significant disfigurement
Each of these injuries, as well as wrongful death, can lead to tremendous expenses for victims and their families.
Let us be your next phone call
If you or a loved one have been injured in a truck accident due to the negligence of the truck driver or company, please seek legal assistance now. At Colson Hicks Eidson, we have 50 years of experience with personal injury cases and will work aggressively to secure the compensation you deserve. These cases can become complex and often involve several parties, but we will not stop working to secure coverage of your medical costs, lost wages if you cannot work, pain and suffering damages, and more. We will even work to secure punitive damages against those responsible. We handle cases on a contingency fee basis, so you will not have to worry about attorney fees unless we are successful in your case. If you need a truck accident attorney to handle your case in West Palm Beach, you can contact us for a free consultation by clicking here or by calling us at 305-476-7400.