Info in Miami & Nationwide
"Colson Hicks Eidson is recognized as one of the top litigation firms in the country, handling local, national and international litigation for a wide range of clients." - Chambers USA
Could a Drawbridge Fall onto My Yacht?
In general, the process for the proper opening and closing of a drawbridge is as follows:
- The boat requests the opening of the drawbridge via radio or by sounding its horn.
- The bridge tender will reply to the boat’s request via radio or by sounding the bridge’s horn.
- The bridge tender will alert motorists, bicyclists and pedestrians that the bridge is about to be raised with traffic lights and bells.
- The bridge tender will lower gates to prevent motorists, bicyclists and pedestrians from crossing the bridge.
- The bridge tender will visually check the bridge to make sure it’s clear of traffic.
- The bridge tender unlocks and raises the bridge.
- The boat will pass through and thank the bridge tender via radio or by sounding its horn
- A minute or two after the boat passes through, the bridge tender will sound the bridge’s horn, lower and lock the bridge and raise the gates, allowing traffic to pass over the bridge.
Unfortunately, something went wrong during the above-mentioned process, which led to a drawbridge falling onto a yacht near Miami, Florida. According to the Miami Herald, as the yacht, which is a mega-yacht called Rockstar, passed through the Broad Causeway Bridge in Bay Harbor Islands, half of the bridge slipped and crashed onto the vessel.
Thankfully, no one was injured in the incident, although the yacht’s upper deck was severely damaged. Authorities were still trying to determine what caused the bridge to fall at the time of this report.
What Should I Do If I’m Hurt in a Boating Accident?
As injury lawyer Julie Braman Kane explains in the video above, if you or someone else is hurt in any type of accident, boating or otherwise, the first thing you need to do is seek immediate medical attention. Following that, even if you don’t know if you can or want to pursue legal action, you should talk to an experienced attorney about your situation, because it’s important that you know your rights and options before you decide how to proceed in the wake of an accident or injury.
Colson Hicks Eidson – Injury Attorneys