If you or a loved one are taking Elmiron to treat interstitial cystitis, commonly known as bladder pain syndrome (BPS), you may be at risk of serious eye disease. At Colson Hicks Eidson, we have a history of helping clients who have been injured due to defective pharmaceuticals. We are here to help those who have been harmed due to taking Elmiron. Our Miami Elmiron attorneys are taking in these cases in Florida (and nationwide). Let us help you secure the compensation you deserve.
What is interstitial cystitis
Interstitial cystitis is often called painful bladder syndrome. This is a very tough diagnosis to make because the symptoms and severity of those suffering from this condition vary widely. Many experts think that interstitial cystitis is a combination of several diseases.
Some of the most common symptoms of interstitial cystitis include:
- bladder pressure and pain that worsens as the bladder fills
- pain in the lower stomach, lower back, urethra, or pelvis
- pain in the vulva, vagina, or the area around the vagina for women
- pain in the scrotum, penis, testicles, or area behind the scrotum for men
- the need to urinate more often than the normal 7 to 8 times a day
- the feeling that you need to urinate even if you just used the restroom
- pain during sex or after an orgasm
Those who suffer from this type of bladder pain can experience a dull ache to a piercing, constant pain.
Is Elmiron the only approved treatment for interstitial cystitis?
Elmiron is the only medication approved to treat interstitial cystitis by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Elmiron (pentosan polysulfate sodium) is typically taken in dosages of 100 mg three times a day. It is thought to work by restoring a thin, leaky, or damages bladder surface.
Like any other prescription drug, Elmiron has various side effects. Perhaps the most severe of these side effects have only recently come to light. Researchers have discovered that long-term use of the prescription drug Elmiron could lead to permanent eye damage in patients. Symptoms can include:
- difficulty reading
- eye pain
- trouble adapting to dim lighting
- distorted vision or vision disturbances
- trouble seeing things up close
Our Elmiron eye disease attorneys are here to help
If you are somebody you care about takes the prescription drug Elmiron to treat interstitial cystitis, you may be in danger of suffering from eye damage. You may be entitled to compensation, and the nationally recognized team at Colson Hicks Eidson is ready to investigate your case today. We have a track record of securing the compensation victims of defective drugs deserve, including:
- Cost of your current and future medical bills
- Lost income if you are unable to work
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of enjoyment of life damages
- Punitive damages against Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
When you need an Elmiron attorney in Miami (or nationwide), you can contact us for a free consultation by clicking here or by calling us at 305-476-7442.