Meet Appellate Attorney Allen Bonner
Allen Bonner specializes in Florida and Eleventh Circuit appeals involving catastrophic personal injuries, product defects, breach of contract, and insurance coverage and bad faith. He studied at Oxford University and Brown University, graduating magna cum laude from Brown, before enrolling at Columbia University’s School of Law, where he was named a Harlan Fisk Stone Scholar, Jacob Berger Fellow, and Charles Evans Hughes Fellow. Allen was also an editorial board member for Columbia’s Human Rights Law Review. He is AV Preeminent rated by Martindale-Hubbell and has been recognized as one of South Florida’s 40 Under 40 Outstanding Lawyers by the CFF and as a Super Lawyers Rising Star by Super Lawyers Magazine.
Notable opinions and orders include:
- City of Sunrise v. Roger Wishner, 224 So. 3d 232 (Fla. 4th DCA 2017) (affirming order denying sovereign immunity).
- Frank Lopez v. Allstate Fire & Casualty Company, 710 Fed. Appx. 861 (11th Cir. 2018) (affirming trial verdict finding insurer liable for common law bad faith);
- 2711 Hollywood Beach Condo. Ass’n v. TRG Holiday et al, 2018 WL 3371781 (Fla. Cir. Ct. 11th Jud. Cir. Jun. 29, 2018) (permitting certain construction-defect related tort claims to proceed despite application of the economic loss rule);
- Mizrahi v. Yamaha Motor Corp., 389 F. Supp. 3d 1135 (S.D. Fla. July 23, 2019) (permitting minor who reached age of majority to pursue economic damages she sustained before she turned 18);
- Windhaven Insurance v. Mesquita, 278 So. 3d 212 (Fla. 3d DCA 2019) (dismissing certiorari petition attempting to bar deposition of corporate representative);
- Latitude on the River Condominium Association v. Allied Tube & Conduit Corp., 306 So. 3d 312 (Fla. 3d DCA 2020) (affirming class certification construction defect class action suit);
- In re Monat Hair Care Products Marketing, Sales Practices, & Products Liability Litigation, 2019 WL 5423457 (S.D. Fla. Oct. 23, 2019) (denying motion to dismiss master complaint in an MDL products liability class action suit);
- Madison Cawthorn v. Auto-Owners Insurance Co., 2021 WL 2948771 (11th Jul. 14, Cir. 2021) (vacating summary judgment on common law bad faith claim in favor of a dismissal without prejudice)
- Dulce Kermes v. Citizen Property Insurance Corp., 20201 WL 3072933 (Fla. 3d DCA 2021) (rejecting certiorari petition challenging order on motion to dismiss for failure to join an indispensable party).
Allen currently co-chairs the Miami Dade Bar’s Appellate Courts Committee and the Florida Bar Appellate Practice Section’s monthly webinar programming. He has been published in the University of Miami Law Review and has contributed work to ABA Appellate Practice Journal, the ABA “Sound Advice” Series, and to the Daily Business Review. His past and present pro-bono work includes serving as a volunteer appellate lawyer for the Mercer Law School’s Habeas Corpus Project and the Georgia Public Defender’s Standards Council; as a volunteer lawyer for the National Center for Refugee and Immigrant Children; as a legal panel member for the Greater Miami Chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union; and as a fundraiser and event committee member for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.
Allen is licensed to practice law in Florida, Georgia, and the District of Columbia.