Meet Appellate Attorney Allen Bonner
Allen Bonner is a member of Colson Hicks Eidson’s appellate practice group and handles appeals in both state and federal court. His representative work includes successful appeals in cases involving catastrophic personal injuries, breach of contract, insurance bad faith, and sovereign immunity; class action litigation against national and multi-national companies; and trial verdicts for insurance coverage and bad faith.
Notable published opinions and orders include:
- Liberty Mutual Fire Insurance Company v. MI Windows & Doors, 131 So. 3d 15 (Fla. 2d DCA 2013) (insurance coverage suit);
- Benson v. QBE Insurance Company, 61 F. Supp. 3d 1277 (S.D. Fla. Nov. 21, 2014) & 2014 WL 12026080 (S.D. Fla. Dec. 10, 2014) (first party bad faith suit);
- Certain Underwriters at Lloyds, London v. Coastal States Mortgage Corp., 598 Fed. Appx. 735 (11th Cir. 2015) & 2014 WL 11380937 (S.D. Fla. Apr. 18, 2014) (contract rescission suit);
- MI Windows & Doors v. Liberty Mutual Company, 123 F. Supp. 3d 1332 (M.D. Fla. 2015) & 2016 WL 3883268 (M.D. Fla. Jul. 18, 2016) (first and third party bad faith suit);
- MI Windows & Doors v. National Union Fire Insurance Co. of Pittsburg, PA, 2016 WL 11663957 (S.C. Ct. Com. Pleas, Jun. 15, 2016) (insurance coverage suit)
- Frank Lopez v. Allstate Fire & Casualty Company, 2015 WL 5584898 (S.D. Fla. Sept. 23, 2015); & 710 Fed. Appx. 861 (11th Cir. 2018) (third party bad faith suit);
- 2711 Hollywood Beach Condo. Ass’n v. TRG Holiday et al, 2018 WL 3371781 (Fla. Cir. Ct. 11th Jud. Cir. Jun. 29, 2018) (construction defect suit);
- Mizrahi v. Yamaha Motor Corp., 2019 WL 3318538 (S.D. Fla. July 23, 2019) (products liability suit);
- Windhaven Ins. Co. v. Mesquita, 278 So. 3d 212 (Fla. 3d DCA 2019) (insurance coverage suit);
- Latitude on the River Condo. Ass’n v. Allied Tube & Conduit Corp., 2019 WL 4889520 (Fla. Cir. Ct. 11th Jud. Cir. Sept. 23, 2019) (construction defect class action suit);
- In re Monat Hair Care Products Marketing, Sales Practices, & Products Liability Litigation, 2019 WL 5423457 (S.D. Fla. Oct. 23, 2019) (products liability class action suit);
Allen graduated magna cum laude from Brown University, where he double majored in history and philosophy and received honors distinction for his senior thesis. He later lived and worked in London, UK, and Montpellier, France, before enrolling in law school at Columbia University, where he was distinguished as a Harlan Fisk Stone Scholar, Jacob Berger Fellow, and Charles Evans Hughes Fellow and as an editorial board member for Columbia’s Human Rights Law Review. He is AV Preeminent rated by Martindale-Hubbell and has been recognized as one of South Florida’s 40 Under 40 Outstanding Lawyers by the CFF and as a Super Lawyers Rising Star by Super Lawyers Magazine.
Allen’s past and present pro-bono work includes serving as a volunteer appellate lawyer for the Mercer Law School’s Habeas Corpus Project and the Georgia Public Defender’s Standards Council; as a volunteer lawyer for the National Center for Refugee and Immigrant Children; as a legal panel member for the Greater Miami Chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union; and as a fundraiser and event committee member for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. He is a member of the Spellman-Hoeveler American Inns of Court, the Dade County Bar Association, the Florida Bar Appellate Practice Committee, and the Appellate Practice Committee for the American Bar Association’s Litigation Section. He is licensed to practice law in Florida, Georgia, and the District of Columbia.