Meet Accident Attorney Dean C. Colson
Partner Dean C. Colson is among the top accident lawyers in the United States. In his 30-year career, Dean has represented large plaintiff classes in commercial cases and handled multimillion-dollar litigation for injured parties. He has also made significant contributions in service to the legal profession and the community.
The 2011 edition of “Best Lawyers in America” selected Dean in the categories of Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Personal Injury Litigation, Product Liability Litigation and Professional Malpractice Law. Chambers and Partners named him a “Senior Statesman” in the area of General Commercial Litigation.
Accident Attorney Colson’s Successfully Resolved Cases
Along with Mike Eidson, Roberto Martínez and Enid Duany Mendoza, Dean successfully represented 42 families who lost loved ones in the airplane crash of an AeroPeru flight off the coast of Peru. It was an international case originally filed in U.S. federal court and arbitrated in Chile. The compensation awarded the families was among the highest ever received for an aviation accident in South America.
Additionally, Dean was trial counsel in the Premium Sales case, representing investors defrauded in a Ponzi scheme. The case settled for $170 million shortly after the trial began. He also successfully defended a Miami-area newspaper in a libel case. Furthermore, as a personal injury lawyer, he has handled large professional malpractice, aviation and product liability cases.
Legal Experience, Positions and Appointments
Dean joined Colson Hicks Eidson in 1981. In 1980, he served as a law clerk for then Justice William H. Rehnquist on the Supreme Court of the United States. Prior to that clerkship, Dean clerked for the Hon. Peter T. Fay on the United States Court of Appeals.
Dean has served the legal community as President of the Dade County Bar Association and as a member of The Florida Bar Board of Governors. Dean is also a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers and of the International Society of Barristers. He was appointed by Chief Justice Roberts to the Standing Rules Committee of the Federal Courts and is the liaison member to the Appellate Rules Committee.
For 18 years, Dean served on the University Of Miami Board Of Trustees. He spent his last eight years as either Chair of the Executive Committee or Chair of the Board. In addition, Dean is currently the Vice Chair of the Board of Governors of the State University System, which governs the public universities in Florida.
Dean served the citizens of Florida as a member of the Florida Commission on Ethics and the Florida Supreme Court Judicial Nominating Commission, which he also chaired.
Accolades and Community Involvement
His community service includes chairing the 1995 Super Bowl XXIX Host Committee and serving as President of the Orange Bowl Committee in 2003. He is also a board member of several charitable organizations in South Florida. Dean received the “Citizen of the Year” award in 1995 from the Mayor of Miami, and in 2008, the Miami-Dade Chapter of the Association of Fundraising Professionals honored him for his volunteer work.
In 2009, Florida International University awarded Dean an Honorary Degree – Doctor of Laws.
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Fellow, International Society of Barristers
- Best Lawyers in America
- Chambers USA, America’s Leading Lawyers for Business
- Miami’s Citizen of the Year, 1995
- Sportsman of the Year, 1996, Boys and Girls Club of Greater Miami
- James W. McLamore Outstanding Volunteer Award, Miami-Dade Chapter of the Association of Fundraising Professionals, 2008
- Honorary Degree – Doctor of Laws, Florida International University, 2009
Professional Associations and Appointments
- University of Miami Board of Trustees Chairman, 2004–2007
Executive Committee Chairman, 1999–2004 Vice-Chairman
- Florida Supreme Court Judicial Nominating Commission, appointed 2002 Chairman, 2004–2005
- State of Florida Commission on Ethics, appointed 2000 Past Member
- Dade County Bar Association Past President
- Florida Bar Past Member, Board of Governors
- Super Bowl XXIX Host Committee, 1995 Chairman
- Orange Bowl Committee, 2003 President
- Board of Governors of the State University System, 2010 Vice Chair, 2010