With more than 100 trials under his belt, personal injury attorney Joseph Kalbac is a highly skilled litigator. He works directly with the client, helping those who have cases involving serious personal injury, wrongful death, medical malpractice, products liability and professional liability. Since joining our firm, Joe has obtained settlements in at least 20 cases that exceeded $1 million.
First Hand Knowledge of the Opposition’s Methods
Joe’s effectiveness as a litigator for consumers stems in part from his background defending insurance companies and large corporations. As a result of the insights he gained from 13 years with Kubicki Draper, a prestigious defense firm, he has the edge in helping clients obtain compensation for the harm done to them. Consequently, Joe knows the tactics that insurance companies and large corporations will use; he can anticipate them and build a case accordingly.
Joe’s knowledge of insurance company policies and procedures helps him get the answers his clients need and the compensation they deserve to rebuild their lives. Because of this, he can take the actions necessary to get quick and adequate results. Insurance companies do not mind dragging things out, but Joe knows how to resolve insurance conflicts with efficiency.
Successful Results from Our Accident and Personal Injury Attorney
Because of his experience, Joe can provide superb representation in highly complex cases. One such case involved a 14-year-old boy who died on a cruise ship. The defendant claimed protection under a federal law limiting damages when the death is on the “high seas.” Joe successfully demonstrated that the Florida constitution established territorial waters that included the location of the ship, and the family was entitled to collect the full amount of their damages.
Another such case was a malpractice case against a home health nursing agency that resulted in catastrophic injuries to a young child. The case settled during trial for over $10,000.000.00, which at the time was believed to be the largest medical negligence settlement in Pinellas Country, Florida.
The Daily Business Review named Joe “One of the Most Effective Personal Injury Lawyers” for 2009, in part for a jury verdict of $39 million in a medical negligence case against a neurosurgeon, hospital and pharmaceutical company. Additionally, a settlement in a Naples court was the highest wrongful death settlement in Collier County at the time – over $10 million in a case involving a woman killed by a malfunctioning security gate.
Qualified Injury Attorney Handling Cases Nationwide
Joe is active in the American and Florida Boards of Trial Advocates, and he was selected the 2009 Lawyer of the Year by the ABOTA Miami Chapter. He also served as president of the Dade County Defense Bar Association and director of the Dade County Bar Association. Joe’s community service includes Chairman of the Board of Trustees at Palmer Trinity School as well as leadership positions at St. Thomas Episcopal Church and Parish School.
Honors and Recognitions
- 2009 Lawyer of the Year, ABOTA Miami Chapter
- Daily Business Review, 2009 list of Most Effective Personal Injury Lawyers
- Florida Super Lawyers
- South Florida Best Lawyers
- The Best Lawyers in America
- The Wall Street Journal, Top Lawyers in Florida
- US News & World Reporter – Best Lawyers
- Named a “2020 Lawdragon 500 Leading Plaintiff Consumer Lawyer“
Professional Associations and Memberships
- The American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA)
- National board member
- The Florida Board of Trial Advocates (FLBOTA)
- Past Board Member
- Legislative Review Committee
- The American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA) Miami Chapter
- Member, Executive Committee
- Chapter President, 2008 – 2009
- Florida Justice Association
- Dade County Trial Lawyers Association
- Dade County Defense Bar Association
- Past President
- Dade County Bar Association
- Past Director
- Dade County Circuit Court
- Member, Ad Hoc Trial Practices and Procedure Committee
- Florida Bar 11th Judicial Circuit Grievance Committee
- Vice Chair
- Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
Civic and Community Activities
- Palmer Trinity School
- Chairman, Board of Trustees
- St. Thomas Episcopal Church
- Senior Warden
- Vestry Member
- St. Thomas Episcopal Parish School
- Board of Trustees
Past Employment Positions:
- Kubicki Draper, Equity Partner