Meet Litigation Attorney Latoya C. Brown
Latoya C. Brown is a skilled litigation attorney who practices in the areas of commercial litigation, mass torts, class action lawsuits, and general civil litigation. Ms. Brown has extensive experience in commercial matters and a significant federal practice. She regularly travels throughout the country representing clients in complex class actions and multidistrict litigation. Along with her law partner, Curtis B. Miner, Ms. Brown currently represents plaintiffs in the In Re: Takata Airbags Product Liability Litigation, MDL No. 2599, which is considered the largest product defect case in United States history.
Ms. Brown graduated in the top five of her law school class, magna cum laude, from Florida International University (FIU) College of Law. During law school, Latoya earned a coveted spot on the FIU Law Review where she served as Comments/Articles Editor. She was also a member of the FIU Moot Court Board, on the Dean’s List, and the recipient of five Book Awards. Ms. Brown also has a stellar academic record in relation to her undergraduate degree; she graduated magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa and as a member of the Honors College, and received sought-after scholarships.
Ms. Brown has been recognized as one of the 40 Under 40 Outstanding Lawyers of South Florida by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and received the Dade County Bar Association’s Legal Luminaries Award for Top Attorney Under the Age of 40 in 2017.
Ms. Brown’s professional experience, prior to joining Colson Hicks Eidson, includes a legal internship at the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, where she worked with senior counsel to enforce the federal securities laws. She also worked as a law clerk for a commercial litigation firm and as a judicial intern.
Ms. Brown is a published author who predominantly focuses on securities law and the financial services industry. She is licensed to practice in Florida and Washington, D.C.
Professional Recognition, Honors and Awards
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation 40 Under 40 Outstanding Lawyers of South Florida Award (2017)
- Dade County Bar Association’s Legal Luminaries Award for Top Attorney Under the Age of 40 (2017)
- Grant Recipient: 30th and 31st Annual Federal Securities Institute
- Book Awards: Securities Enforcement, Securities Regulation, Wills & Trusts, Florida Constitutional Law, and Florida Law & Procedure
- Florida International University Honors College
- Willis Holcombe Scholarship
- A & P Senate Scholarship
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Dean’s List
Professional Associations and Community Involvement
- Dade County Bar Association, Director
- Florida Association of Women Lawyers
- The Florida Bar
- American Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
- Speaker, Florida International University College of Law Dinner Lecture Series (2017)
- Panelist, Pathways to Success: Highlights for Rising Attorneys, 6th Annual Bench & Bar Conference (2017)
Publications and Editorials
- Rise of the IntercontinentalExchange and Implications of its Merger with NYSE Euronext, U. Pitt. J.L. & Com. (Fall 2013)
- The Regulation of U.S. Money Market Funds: Lessons from Europe, 9 BYU Int’l L. & Mgmt. Rev. 201 (2013)
- No More Ping-Pong: The Need for Article III Status in Bankruptcy After Stern v. Marshall, 8 FIU L. Rev. 559 (2013)
- Contributor, Columbia Law School’s Blog on Corporations & Capital Markets, Rise of the IntercontinentalExchange and Implications of its Merger with NYSE Euronext (February 6, 2014)