Meet Accident Lawyer Patrick S. Montoya
Partner at Colson Hicks Eidson
Accident lawyer Patrick S. Montoya lives by this philosophy: “Be the lawyer you want for yourself.” As a partner at Colson Hicks Eidson, Patrick has been committed to zealously representing his clients and protecting their rights while always maintaining a personal one-on-one relationship.
Fomenting a remarkable legal career that has spanned over a decade, Patrick’s practice includes class action and commercial litigation, products liability, personal injury litigation, aviation law, construction law and toxic torts.
Patrick has fought for and won clients numerous multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements that not only compensate his clients for the wrong they suffered, but also bring effective change to the laws that protect society. Patrick was recently counsel as part of a team that obtained a $51.8 million verdict for an Ocala, Florida family involved in a catastrophic car accident. Patrick also was part of a team that obtained an $8 million verdict in a wrongful death case for two Chinese nationals. Patrick has achieved multi-million dollar trial verdicts for the widow and family of a slain police officer and in another case for a police officer who was seriously injured by a drunk driver.
Accident Lawyer with Experience in High Profile Litigation
Patrick’s representation also encompasses commercial litigation. One of Patrick’s verdicts was a million dollar trial verdict for a group of hospital-based pathologists who sought damages from Health Maintenance Organizations for not paying their fees. The Supreme Court of Florida upheld the decision, affirming the right that doctors be paid for their services thus effecting positive change in Florida law. Patrick’s other commercial litigation verdicts include cases as diverse as recovering millions for a Peruvian towel manufacturer, to homeowners who had defective Chinese drywall in their homes, to business owners who were harmed by the BP Oil Spill.
Staying Active in Legal and Local Communities
In addition to his work as a Florida personal injury lawyer, Patrick is deeply involved in his community. Patrick was a member of the Executive Committee for the National Conference of Community and Justice (“NCCJ”), Greater Miami Region. The Dade Community Foundation awarded Patrick with the “Donor Next Door” Award for his volunteerism with the NCCJ. In addition, Patrick hosted the television program, “NCCJ: Your Community and You.” He also served on the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida’s Ad Hoc Committee on Rules and Procedures.
Patrick currently serves as a Director of the Dade County Bar Association, is past-President of the Inns of Courts Chapter, Dade County Chapter and has received numerous honors and awards, including “Top Up & Comer in South Florida,” South Florida Legal Guide from 2009 – 2013, Florida Rising Stars by SuperLawyers from 2010 – 2017 and Top 40 Lawyers Under 40 by Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, 2009. Patrick is also currently Co-Chair of the Davidson College Alumni Chapter for the South Florida Region.
Patrick graduated from Davidson College in Davidson, NC, where he majored in Political Science, with a concentration in Ethnic Studies and lettered for four years in football. After receiving his undergraduate degree, Patrick received a Thomas J. Watson Fellowship and spent a year teaching and studying dance and martial arts in Brazil and Spain. Patrick then went on to receive his law degree from the University of Miami School of Law, graduating cum laude. He was a member of the Inter American Law Review and the University of Miami Moot Court Board.
Patrick is fluent in Spanish as well as Portuguese.
For more information about accident lawyer Patrick S. Montoya, contact him at Colson Hicks Eidson.
- Hon. Theodore Klein Award, Florida Association of Women Lawyers (“FAWL”)
- Listed as a 2013 Rising Star by Daily Business Review
- Top Up & Comer in South Florida, South Florida Legal Guide from 2009 – 2013
- Florida Rising Stars by SuperLawyers, 2010 – 2017
- Top 40 Lawyers Under 40 by Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, 2009
- Thomas J. Watson Fellowship
- Donor Next Door Award, Dade Community Foundation
- Dade County Bar Association, Board of Directors
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida’s Ad Hoc Committee on Rules and Procedures
- Davidson College, South Florida Alumni Chapter, Vice President
- American Association for Justice, Member
- Cuban American Bar Association, Member
- Gwen S. Cherry, Black Woman Lawyers Association, Member
- Florida Association of Women Lawyers, Miami-Dade Chapter, Member
- American Bar Association, Fellow
- National Conference of Community and Justice (“NCCJ”), Executive – Committee
- Television host, NCCJ: “Your Community and You”
- Published works include:
- Florida Evidence and Procedure, ALM Publishing
- Federal Court Tips, Daily Business Review, Miami
- 10 Tips Leading to Efficient and Effective E-discovery for the Small Law Firm, Florida Bar Journal
- Classes/Seminars taught include:
- Lecturer, Direct Examination—Winning with the Masters, Louisiana Association for Justice, New Orleans, Louisiana
- Lecturer, Pain & Suffering, Exacerbation of Pre-Existing Injuries, Loss of Earning, and Life Care Plans, National Business Institute, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
- Lecturer, The Auto Injury Trial, National Business Institute, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
- Lecturer, “The Rules of Evidence: A Practical Toolkit, Handling Email, Social Media and Other ESI”
- Presenter, Opening Argument, “SuperStars In Trial,” Dade County Bar Association
- Lecturer, “Depo 101, Expert Witnesses,” Dade County Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section CLE
- Moderator, “Knock-Out Closing Arguments,” View from the Bench CLE Seminar
- Panelist, “Winning Deposition Techniques,” View from the Bench CLE Seminar
- Lecturer, “Ethical Considerations”
- Lecturer, “Trucking Industry and the Law”
- Presenter, “The New Ediscovery Rules,” 2012 FSBAA Summer Conference, St. Petersburg, FL
- Presenter, “Through the Looking Glass: Handling Mass Tort through the BP Oil Spill Experience,” Broward County Bar Association
- Presenter, “What You Need to Know to Navigate Florida’s New E-discovery Rules,” Webinar
- Presenter, “Attacking Opposing Expert Testimony,” National Business Institute
- Presenter, “Evidence, Experts and Hearsay in the Courtroom,” National Business Institute
- Presenter, “Facing and Navigating the risks of US ‘Taxation of Costs’ laws” at ACEDS 2012 Conference in Hollywood, FL
- Presenter, “You Can’t Spell Sunshine without ‘ESI’: What you should expect under the new Florida e-discovery state rules” at ACEDS 2012 Conference in Hollywood, FL
- Presenter, “Evidence to the Trial Lawyers” Seminar for the Collier County Bar Association
- Presenter, “E-Discovery for Paralegals: Effectively Preserving Evidence” webinar for the Institute for Paralegal Education
- Presenter, “The Evolution of Multi-District Litigation” at the American Bar Association Seminar, “Environmental, Mass Torts and Products Liability Litigation Committees’ Joint CLE Seminar” in Hollywood, Florida
- Presenter, “Cross-Examination of Expert Witnesses” at the Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants conference
- Presenter, The Harris Martin Chinese Drywall Conference at the Fountainbleau, featuring the following panel discussions: “The Case Against Taishan/Taihe,” “Knauf-Pilot Program for Repairs” and “Inex and Banner Proposed Class Action Settlements—Objections and Opt-Out Issues”
- Adjunct Professor, Legal Research and Writing Program, University of Miami School of Law
- Lecturer, Litigating Catastrophically Injured Infant Cases, Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- Adjunct Professor, Business Law, Carlos Albizu University, Miami, Florida
- Adjunct Professor, University of Miami Paralegal Program, Core Course and Florida Procedures, Presented by the Florida Bar
- Lecturer, Discovery Practice and Procedures in Tort Litigation, Basic Tort Litigation CLE
- Lecturer, Products Liability and Medical Malpractice an Interactive Overview, Basic Tort Litigation CLE, Presented by the Florida Bar
- Lecturer, “Professional Component of Clinical Pathology Fees and Recent Battles With HMOs,” Association of Pathology Chairs 2007 Annual Meeting
- Lecturer, “Florida Bar Advertising and Regulations,” Lorman Seminars
- Lecturer, “Countdown to Trial: A Crash Course in Trial Preparation for Paralegals,” Institute for Paralegal Education
- Lecturer, “Building and Litigating the Class Action Case,” National Business Institute
- Lecturer, “Legal Drafting Tips for Paralegals: Pleadings, Motions and Briefs,” Institute for Paralegal Education
- Lecturer, “How Discovery Is Being Affected by Caselaw and Changes,” Institute for Paralegal Education
- Lecturer, “Paralegal Litigation Skills: Managing Civil Discovery,” Institute for Paralegal Education
- Lecturer, “Representing Your Client in Federal Court,” National Business Institute
- Lecturer, “Document Management in the Trenches: How Paralegals Can Get (And Stay) Organized,” Institute for Paralegal Education