Meet Litigation Lawyer Stephanie A. Casey
Partner at Colson Hicks Eidson
Stephanie A. Casey is a committed litigator who has dedicated her career to achieving justice for her clients in a commercial, class action, False Claims Act, and personal injury cases. Stephanie represents clients in state and federal trial and appellate courts in Florida, New York and Washington, DC. As a native of Brazil, she speaks Portuguese fluently.
Stephanie joined Colson Hicks Eidson after completing a judicial clerkship with United States District Judge Marcia G. Cooke. Prior to her clerkship, Stephanie worked for several years at a large corporate law firm in Washington DC, where she represented the U.S. and international clients in a wide range of antitrust, securities, and commercial litigations as well as white collar defense matters.
COMMERCIAL AND CLASS ACTION CASES
Stephanie represents individuals and businesses that have been victims of fraud and unfair business practices in individual and class action litigation. Stephanie has represented victims of international Ponzi schemes in federal courts nationwide, including obtaining a multi-million-dollar judgment on behalf of defrauded Brazilian clients.
As part of her class action practice, Stephanie has represented individuals injured by dangerous or defective consumer products, victims of data breaches, and victims of an airplane crash. Stephanie also represents clients across the country in ERISA class actions against health insurance companies for improper denial of health benefits, including the denial of Proton Beam Radiation Therapy for the treatment of cancer.
GOVERNMENT INVESTIGATIONS AND FALSE CLAIMS ACT CASES
Stephanie represents clients in False Claims Act cases in a variety of different industries, including telecommunications, healthcare, and military contracts. She also has experience defending businesses and individuals that are unfairly charged with defrauding the government or violating securities laws.
PERSONAL INJURY CASES
Stephanie recently secured a favorable settlement on the eve of trial on behalf of the family of a mentally ill individual who was tased multiple times by police officers in the City of Hollywood. In 2017, Stephanie was part of a team that obtained a jury verdict of over $750,000 on behalf of a bicyclist who was struck by a vehicle in Key Biscayne, Florida.
IN THE NEWS
- “As Costly High-tech Cancer Facilities Eye CT Market, Insurance Coverage a Hurdle,” Hartford Business Journal
- “‘Immoral,’ ‘Barbaric’ for Insurer to Deny Cancer Therapy, Says Judge Who Had Same Cancer,” Miami Herald
- “Cancer-Survivor Judge Steps Down From Case Over Insurer’s ‘Barbaric’ Denial of Treatment,” Daily Business Review
- “Police Shot Him with a Stun Gun 10 Times. Now His Family is Getting $750,000,” South Florida Sun Sentinel
- “Backpack Program Provides School Supplies for Homeless Students at Camillus House,” Miami Herald
- “Fla. Widow’s $100M Copter Crash Suit Booted to Bahamas,” Law 360
RECOGNITIONS AND AWARDS
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, 40 Under 40 Outstanding Lawyers of South Florida, 2018
- Florida Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2015-2018
PRESENTATIONS AND PUBLICATIONS
- Moderator, “Managing & Handling the Government Investigation,” presented at the Spellman-Hoeveler Inns of Court 2019 Bench & Bar Conference
- Panelist, “Obtaining and Admitting Social Media Evidence,” presented at the Fifth Biennial Southern District of Florida Bench and Bar Conference
- Moderator, “Demystifying the Federal Judicial Nominating Process,” presented by the Florida Association of Women Lawyers
- Moderator, “Federal Court Practice for the State Court Practitioner,” presented by the South Florida Chapter of the Federal Bar Association
- Adjunct Professor of Legal Skills & Values III, FIU School of Law, 2013-Present
Comment, Balancing Deterrence, Comity Considerations, and Judicial Efficiency: The Use of the D.C. Circuit’s Proximate Cause Standard for Determining Subject Matter Jurisdiction over Extraterritorial Antitrust Cases, 55 Am. U. L. Rev. 585 (2005)
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND APPOINTMENTS
- Federal Bar Association, South Florida Chapter
- Treasurer, 2019–2020
- Secretary, 2018–2019
- Director, 2016–Present
- Florida Association for Women Lawyers, Miami-Dade Chapter
- Elections Committee Chair, 2018–Present
- Director, 2015–2018
- The Florida Bar
- Appointed member, Federal Court Practice Committee, 2017-2020
- Appointed member, Student Education/Admissions to the Bar Committee, 2014-2017
- Member, Dade County Bar Association
- Member, The Federalist Society for Law and Public Policy Studies