According to CBS Baltimore, Maryland could become the first state in the US to ban energy drinks to teens, following the death of a 14-year-old Maryland girl who died after consuming two 24-ounce cans of Monster energy drink in two days. In 2011, the 14 year old went into cardiac arrest and died due to cardiac arrhythmia due to caffeine toxicity.
The girl’s family had a hearing with state lawmakers on March 7 to ask legislators to pass a bill banning the sales of energy drinks to minors. The family argued that energy drink companies market their products to children, but do not warn of the risks involved. If the hearing committee passes the bill, it would then go to the House for consideration. The Maryland family has also filed a lawsuit against Monster, which is still pending.
The Food and Drug Administration is continuing to investigate several claims that connect energy drinks to serious injury or wrongful death in victims.
Injury Attorneys That Handle Product Liability Cases
If your child was injured or killed by a defective or dangerous product like an energy drink, we understand what it takes to convey your injury effectively in court so that your child and family have the best chances of a successful claim. Nationally recognized as one of the leading litigation law firms in the country, Colson Hicks Eidson is a partnership of experienced accident lawyers who combine their legal accomplishments and network of resources to provide dedicated representation.
We will fight to obtain the compensation your child deserves in the courtroom after another individual, small business or large corporation attempts to silence his or her voice. Contact our injury lawyers today by calling (305) 476-7400 to learn more about how our firm can assist your family.
Colson Hicks Eidson – Injury Attorneys