Can I File Plane Crash Lawsuit if I’m Not a U.S. Citizen?

"Colson Hicks Eidson is recognized as one of the top litigation firms in the country, handling local, national and international litigation for a wide range of clients." - Chambers USA

March 16, 2016
Colson Hicks Eidson

Miami Plane Crash Lawyer Explains Jurisdiction in Aviation Cases

Airplanes these days tend to be filled with citizens of many different countries, so when an aviation accident occurs, there are numerous and significant legal questions regarding which citizens are able to claim damages. In this video, Miami plane crash attorney Curtis Miner explains how non-U.S. citizens are able to file airplane accident lawsuits in the United States.

If you have questions regarding an aviation accident claim, you can reach our Florida attorneys at 305-476-7400 or you can fill out our online case review form. We have handled numerous aviation accident cases involving plane crashes all over the world.

Video Transcription:

In the world of modern travel, on any given plane, you may have people from all different nationalities on board. And if you are a person who’s in an aviation accident, no matter where it occurred in the world, whether it’s in the United States or outside the United States, whether you’re a United States citizen or not a United States citizen, there are a whole bunch of factors to look at to determine whether you may have the right to bring a lawsuit in the United States. One of the things to look at is the manufacturer of either the plane or component of the plane a U.S. company, for example, is Boeing the manufacturer of the plane? Is McDonnell Douglas the manufacturer of the plane? Is the component that failed or that was defective in the accident, was it manufactured by Honeywell International in the United States? Was it manufactured by any variety of large corporations that manufacture components for big complicated machines like airplanes in the United States? Was it a U.S. airline flying overseas? What was the route of travel? There are a whole bunch of factors that even if you are not a United States citizen even if the accident occurred overseas may give you the right to bring a lawsuit in the United States.

Contact our lawyers at 305-476-7400 or contact our website at for more information.