Does My Car Have a Defective Takata Airbag?

"Colson Hicks Eidson is recognized as one of the top litigation firms in the country, handling local, national and international litigation for a wide range of clients." - Chambers USA

May 9, 2017
Colson Hicks Eidson

As more reports about the Takata airbag recall surface and the case against the auto parts manufacturer continues to grow, many may be asking, how do I know if my car has a defective Takata airbag? Takata airbags are not limited to a single automaker, but instead include several different makes and models of vehicles, from Honda to Toyota to Mazda. With so many possibilities, it can be difficult for vehicle owners to know whether their car has defective airbags or not. In this video, attorney Curt Miner explains how vehicle owners can find out if their car or truck has a defective Takata airbag and what to do about it if it does.

Video Transcription:

If they have a car with a Takata airbag, they should have received a recall notice from the manufacturer of their car, Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Nissan, whoever it is that manufactured their car. They can also go to the NHTSA website and there’s an easy way that they can check to see if their car is one of the cars that’s subject to the recall. Some estimates say that one in five cars will need to be recalled and have their Takata airbags replaced before this is all over. If you bought your car used, if you bought it through someone else through Autotrader or through the classified ads, sometimes if you even bought it second hand from a certified pre-owned dealership, the automaker may not necessarily have you on their list anymore and won’t be able to get the recall notice to you. If you check the NHTSA website or you learn that your car is subject to the recall you should make an appointment at your dealer as soon as you can and get that car in there and get the air bag replaced and they will put a new airbag in that should ideally be a non Takata airbag. An airbag that doesn’t use ammonium nitrate as it’s propellant. If your car is subject to the recall, you should not have to pay any money of your own. You have to spend the time and undergo the inconvenience of going into the dealership and waiting to get this done. But you should not have to pay any of your own moneyFor more information, Call Colson Hicks Eidson 305-476-7400 visit our website,