Mike Eidson Explains The Importance of Timing If You Sue The Government

"Colson Hicks Eidson is recognized as one of the top litigation firms in the country, handling local, national and international litigation for a wide range of clients." - Chambers USA

November 2, 2018
Colson Hicks Eidson

Typically, you are limited to six months to notify the government that you intend to sue, but there are special factors to consider. You can file where the accident took place or where you reside, and getting the help from a lawyer as soon as possible can greatly assist you in understanding the benefits of filing one place over the other. The key is to act quickly. Call Colson Hicks Eidson at 305-476-7400 for more information.

Video Transcription: The amount of damages you can recover are based on the law and the place where it occurred. So let’s say it happened in Mississippi. The damages lost would be the damage loss of Mississippi. You could bring that case either where you reside when you bring the lawsuit or where the accident occurred, and you’re required to give notice within 6 months to the government. There are special rules that apply to that. So if you are injured or killed as a result of a negligent act by the government, it is essential that you contact an attorney who is qualified to understand how these laws work as soon as possible. Because the statute of limitations for those claims are shorter than the statute of limitations are in the states where they occur. And there are many other rules that regulate how you can bring a case against the government. So it is very very important if you are injured as a result of a wrongful act by a government employee, by the government, that you contact an attorney and get that attorney working on the case as soon as possible. Call Colson Hicks Eidson 305-476-7400 or go to our website https://www.colson.com for more information.