Should I Book a Shore Excursion Through the Cruise Line?

"Colson Hicks Eidson is recognized as one of the top litigation firms in the country, handling local, national and international litigation for a wide range of clients." - Chambers USA

August 12, 2016
Colson Hicks Eidson

Miami Cruise Ship Accident Attorney Urges Caution

Many cruise lines have partnerships with shore excursion companies in popular vacation destinations. If you are injured on a shore excursion, such as a scuba diving trip or a parasailing trip, it may be possible for you to seek legal action against the shore excursion company and the cruise line itself.

In this video, Miami cruise ship accident attorney Joe Kalbac explains how agreements between cruise lines and shore excursion businesses can lead to lawsuits and recovery for victims. Our law firm operates out of an office in Miami, though we serve clients nationwide as well as worldwide.

Video Transcription

In a situation where you’re taken to a particular port and you go upon yourself to sign up for a shore excursion not related to or not sponsored by the cruise ship, in most cases you would probably be limited to whatever the recovery was in that particular country or that particular island, in the case of cruise ships. However, even in those situations it is important to evaluate what relationship the shore excursion company, even if you didn’t sign up for it on the ship, it’s important to find out what relationship if any they have with the cruise ship because they may be liable, the cruise line may be liable, for the negligence of even that shore excursion company. In each and every cruise, each and every cruise ship, they promote certain vendors in each company they have agreements, they have contracts, they have relationships with these companies. They get a percentage, the cruise line gets a percentage, of the shore excursion pricing so it’s important to evaluate those contracts and those agreements to find out what the relationship is. Contact our lawyers at 305-476-7400 or contact our website at for more information.