What Do I Do After Medical Malpractice?

"Colson Hicks Eidson is recognized as one of the top litigation firms in the country, handling local, national and international litigation for a wide range of clients." - Chambers USA

March 31, 2016
Colson Hicks Eidson

Miami Med Mal Lawyer Advises Clients on Negligence Lawsuits

Medical malpractice occurs when doctors, medical professionals and/or hospitals act do not follow the accepted standards of care when treating patients. Most people will not know whether medical malpractice occurred in their case without a thorough investigation by attorneys and independent doctors and medical experts. For victims of medical negligence, the idea of filing a medical malpractice lawsuit may seem scary and complex. In this video, Miami personal injury attorney Joe Kalbac explains the process of medical negligence lawsuits from the initial filing through the mediation process to a potential trial.

Video Transcription:

What involvement does someone involved in a medical negligence case need to do? Once you decide to go forward and file a medical negligence lawsuit, the involvement would be you would have to meet with us of course, answer discovery, which are sworn interrogatories, questions under oath. You would have to sit for a deposition. A deposition is the only opportunity in any case for the other side to actually sit down and talk to you, ask you questions to find out what you know or what you don’t know. We prepare you thoroughly for your deposition so that when you walk in, you’re at least more comfortable than you would have been otherwise. Of course you’ll be nervous but like I tell every client, tell the truth and you’ll never forget what you said. You’ll also have to attend a mediation, which is a court ordered informal settlement conference. In Florida, every case before it can go to trial is ordered to mediation. You will have to attend the mediation with us at Colson Hicks Eidson. You will not have to do anything other than listen and the hardest job you’ll have is to make an ultimate decision if an offer is fair and reasonable.

Contact our lawyers at 305-476-7400 or contact our website at Colson.com for more information.