Personal Injury Lawyer Blog Providing
Info in Miami & Nationwide

"Colson Hicks Eidson is recognized as one of the top litigation firms in the country, handling local, national and international litigation for a wide range of clients." - Chambers USA


If You Were Exposed To Water At Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune In North Carolina, Submit Your Information By Clicking Here. Or Contact Us At: 305-476-7400

What About the Damage to My Car after an Accident?

February 8, 2012
Colson Hicks Eidson

After a car crash, recovering from your bodily injuries might occupy all your time and effort. There is still the issue of getting your car repaired or replaced, and this is done through a property damage claim with your insurance company. While your physical injury may seem primary, do not wait to file your claim for property damage with the insurance company. Your auto policy likely requires you to notify the company right away if you are in an accident.

Unlike with bodily injury, you do not have to wait because you will know the amount of damage to your vehicle relatively quickly. You can handle the claim under your own auto coverage if the damage is not that serious. In cases of serious damage where fault is an issue, you will file the property damage claim under the other driver’s insurance. Even in no-fault states, the property damage claim can still be under the other driver’s insurance because no-fault pertains to personal injury, not property damage.

The first thing the insurance company will want you to do is to get an estimate of the damage. You do not have an obligation to get multiple estimates. If all goes according to plan, you will receive a check in a few weeks from the insurance company. There will be a release along with the check that you will have to sign. Make sure that the release is for your property damage claim and not your personal injury claim.

Colson Hicks Eidson – Florida injury lawyers