Malfunctioning Swimming Pool Pump Electrocutes Three Children in Hialeah

According to the NY Daily News, three children in Hialeah, Florida were electrocuted in a community pool last month, leaving them motionless as they were trapped underwater.

Officials are blaming the accident on the pool’s faulty pool pump. Inspectors say the pool pumps were not properly grounded, so when it malfunctioned, it electrified the water.

Surveillance video shows a young girl in the pool suddenly become motionless after she grabbed a metal pole in the pool and was electrocuted. You see the girl suddenly floating very still with her head tilted back underwater. A man in the swimming pool sees her in trouble and tries to help, but is also shocked momentarily when he grabs the metal pole. He is eventually able to pull her out of the pool. Other children had to also be pulled from the dangerous water by adults.

The girl and two other children were shocked while playing in the water that day at the Palms West Garden Condominium complex in Hialeah, just outside of Miami.

“I was in the pool and then the metal railing, I was swimming close to it, and I felt a shock,” stated a 10-year-old boy also injured by the malfunctioning pool pump.

The three children spent four nights in the hospital for their injuries.

How Can I Tell if My Pool is Dangerous or Not?

If you are worried about your swimming pool this summer, call a licensed professional to identify any potential problems. Things to look for include:

  • Cracked concrete or very old concrete around the pool area
  • Broken conduit
  • Broken or loose high voltage wires

Colson Hicks Eidson is representing the family of a seven-year-old boy that was electrocuted and killed in a pool due to a malfunctioning pool light in Miami.

Swimming pool accidents are very dangerous, but very preventable. If your child was injured or killed in a swimming pool accident, call Colson Hicks Eidson today. We take child injuries very seriously, so contact us today to learn more about how our firm can assist your family.

Colson Hicks Eidson – Injury Attorneys

Source: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/kids-shocked-electrified-fla-swimming-pool-article-1.1802068



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *