The attorneys at Colson Hicks Eidson are pioneers in the area of catastrophic injury litigation. We fight to obtain compensation for injured victims.
Child Injury Lawyers with Decades of Successful Results for Children and Minors
Nationally recognized as one of the top litigation law firms in the country, Colson Hicks Eidson has a reputation for representing complex personal injury claims throughout the country and internationally. Our experienced accident and injury lawyers combine their legal accomplishments to provide dedicated representation. As a result, we have obtained record-breaking verdicts and settlements for our clients around the world. For example, in one case, we won a verdict of $60.9 million for the infant victim of traumatic brain injury caused by medical negligence.
Child injuries are devastating to the entire family and may cause physical, emotional and financial hardships. Serious accidents are particularly harmful to children, who may face futures that are unalterably changed by permanent disability. Thus, child injury cases are often complex, as the outcome can determine the rest of your lives. The child injury lawyers at Colson Hicks Eidson take care to fully investigate the total impact of an accident involving a child so that you get the compensation you need to move forward. Our personal injury law firm commits to upholding the rights of all accident victims, no matter their ages, who suffer serious injury or wrongful death because of negligence.
Experienced Child Injury Lawyers for Personal Injury and Wrongful Death Claims
Our attorneys have gained hundreds of millions of dollars in verdicts and settlements for children who sustained serious and fatal injuries because of the careless actions of another. In one such case, wrongful death attorney Roberto Martínez filed a lawsuit on behalf of a 12-year-old who died from electrocution. The inadequate electrical work by Eller Media employees at a Miami bus shelter caused this fatal accident. After a lengthy investigation and trial, we obtained a $65 million wrongful death verdict for his family.
In another case, child injury lawyer Deborah J. Gander also gained a $60.9 million verdict for the parents of a baby boy who suffered a traumatic birth at a Navy hospital. The judge found the clinic performing the delivery liable for medical negligence. In a similar case involving child brain injuries caused by medical malpractice, our attorneys obtained a confidential settlement that was nonetheless the largest sum ever awarded in a Federal Tort Claims Act claim for medical negligence.
Many types of law can come into play when the careless actions of another cause of child injuries. These may include premises liability, personal injury and product liability, among others. It does not matter whether your child sustains injuries at a daycare center, summer camp, at a swimming pool or elsewhere. You need a child injury attorney immediately to investigate whether the accident could or should have been prevented. If so, then you may have grounds to recover compensation through a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit.
What Accidents Commonly Cause Child Injury or Wrongful Death?
According to accident statistics from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), roughly 1 in 5 child deaths results from preventable personal injury. This includes child injuries caused by:
- Motor vehicle accidents. Children are more susceptible to car crash injuries due to their smaller size. However, defective seatbelts and/or car seats often cause or contribute to catastrophic child injuries in a wreck.
- Swimming pool accidents. People who own pools and other attractive nuisances must take extra steps to prevent child injuries. However, accidental drowning is still a leading cause of wrongful death in children.
- Poisoning. Accidental poisoning caused by defective products, medications and paints is a serious concern for children. It is especially likely that young children like toddlers will put potentially poisonous objects into their mouths.
- Defective toys. When toy manufacturers neglect safety tests and other procedures, children may be at risk for suffocation, strangulation, poisoning, electrocutions and/or amputation, especially of the fingers.
- Falls. Public buildings and many residences must have railings, gates and/or reinforced windows for child safety. These prevent falls from heights and other serious accidents.
- Fires. Children are less able than adults to get themselves to safety in the event of a fire. For this reason among others, all schools, homes and businesses must be maintained for fire safety.
- Playground accidents. Schools must ensure that children are reasonably safe from injury both in the classroom and on the playground.
- Birth injuries. Medical negligence during birth can cause catastrophic injuries to both the infant and the mother. These may include traumatic brain injury and spinal cord injury.
Free Attorney Advice for Child Injuries Nationwide
Whether your child’s injuries resulted from a defective product, the careless actions of a caregiver or an inattentive driver, our attorneys understand what it takes to show the full impact on your child and family. We consider not only past and future medical care but also the cost of home renovations, necessary therapies and even lost future wages. Contact our child injury lawyers today to schedule a free initial consultation. We have law offices in Washington DC, New Orleans and Miami.