The attorneys at Colson Hicks Eidson are pioneers in the area of catastrophic injury litigation. We fight to obtain compensation for injured victims.
Child Injury Lawyers with Decades of Successful Results for Children and Minors
Nationally recognized as one of the top litigation law firms in the country, Colson Hicks Eidson has a reputation for representing complex personal injury claims throughout the country and internationally. Our experienced accident and injury lawyers combine their legal accomplishments to provide dedicated representation. As a result, we have obtained record-breaking verdicts and settlements for our clients around the world. For example, in one case, we won a verdict of $60.9 million for the infant victim of traumatic brain injury caused by medical negligence.
Child injuries are devastating to the entire family and may cause physical, emotional, and financial hardships. Serious accidents are particularly harmful to children, who may face futures that are unalterably changed by permanent disability. Thus, child injury cases are often complex, as the outcome can determine the rest of your life. The child injury lawyers at Colson Hicks Eidson take care to fully investigate the total impact of an accident involving a child so that you get the compensation you need to move forward. Our personal injury law firm commits to upholding the rights of all accident victims, no matter their ages, who suffer serious injury or wrongful death because of negligence.
Experienced Child Injury Lawyers for Personal Injury and Wrongful Death Claims
Our attorneys have gained hundreds of millions of dollars in verdicts and settlements for children who sustained serious and fatal injuries because of the careless actions of another. In one such case, wrongful death attorney Roberto Martínez filed a lawsuit on behalf of a 12-year-old who died from electrocution. The inadequate electrical work by Eller Media employees at a Miami bus shelter caused this fatal accident. After a lengthy investigation and trial, we obtained a $65 million wrongful death verdict for his family.
In another case, child injury lawyer Deborah J. Gander also gained a $60.9 million verdict for the parents of a baby boy who suffered a traumatic birth at a Navy hospital. The judge found the clinic performing the delivery liable for medical negligence. In a similar case involving child brain injuries caused by medical malpractice, our attorneys obtained a confidential settlement that was nonetheless the largest sum ever awarded in a Federal Tort Claims Act claim for medical negligence.
Many types of law can come into play when the careless actions of another cause child injuries. These may include premises liability, personal injury, and product liability, among others. It does not matter whether your child sustains injuries at a daycare center, summer camp, at a swimming pool, or elsewhere. You need a child injury attorney immediately to investigate whether the accident could or should have been prevented. If so, then you may have grounds to recover compensation through a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit.
What Accidents Commonly Cause Child Injury or Wrongful Death?
According to accident statistics from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), roughly 1 in 5 child deaths results from preventable personal injury. This includes child injuries caused by:
- Motor vehicle accidents. Children are more susceptible to car crash injuries due to their smaller size. However, defective seatbelts and/or car seats often cause or contribute to catastrophic child injuries in a wreck.
- Swimming pool accidents. People who own pools and other attractive nuisances must take extra steps to prevent child injuries. However, accidental drowning is still a leading cause of wrongful death in children.
- Poisoning. Accidental poisoning caused by defective products, medications, and paints is a serious concern for children. It is especially likely that young children like toddlers will put potentially poisonous objects into their mouths.
- Defective toys. When toy manufacturers neglect safety tests and other procedures, children may be at risk for suffocation, strangulation, poisoning, electrocutions, and/or amputation, especially of the fingers.
- Falls. Public buildings and many residences must have railings, gates, and/or reinforced windows for child safety. These prevent falls from heights and other serious accidents.
- Fires. Children are less able than adults to get themselves to safety in the event of a fire. For this reason among others, all schools, homes, and businesses must be maintained for fire safety.
- Playground accidents. Schools must ensure that children are reasonably safe from injury both in the classroom and on the playground.
- Birth injuries. Medical negligence during birth can cause catastrophic injuries to both the infant and the mother. These may include traumatic brain injury and spinal cord injury.
How Prevalent Are Child Injuries in Florida?
Major injuries in children can happen anywhere. Whether your child has suffered harm on the playground, school, or someone’s home, you have a right to stand up for their rights.
According to Stanford Children’s Health:
- An estimated 12,000 children die each year from unintentional injuries
- Falls are the leading cause of injury, putting nearly 8,000 children in emergency rooms per year
- 254,000 children suffer injuries related to bicycle accidents
- 2,000 children suffer fatal injuries at home, including:
- Fires and burns
- The leading cause of accidental death for children under 4 are drowning and suffocation
Why Are Child Injury Accident Claims Complicated?
Personal injury claims can be medically complex and involve numerous hurdles. Child injury claims have added challenges, including:
- The possibility of separate child injury claims:
A child has a right to pursue an injury case for the injuries they have sustained in an accident. Due to their minor status, they will not be able to collect any compensation until the age of 18. Also, the child’s parents have a separate right to pursue damages for medical expenses and other losses they personally encountered due to the accident.
- When parents or children who are partially responsible for their injuries:
In the event a parent is held partially negligent, they may not be able to seek compensation. It is important to discuss the details of your case with an experienced child injury lawyer to determine your options. If the parents are barred from civil action, a child may still pursue a personal injury claim to recover damages for their injuries.
- The bystander theory:
In some cases, a child is injured by someone’s negligence in view of their parents. If the parents are bystanders to the scene, they may be able to secure compensation for any pain, suffering, and emotional distress from witnessing their child injured.
At Colson Hick Eidson, our knowledgeable child injury lawyers have successfully pursued actions against negligent parties through creative strategy and overcoming challenges. Our dedication and attention to detail enable us to recover meaningful compensation for parents and children.
If your child has suffered injuries as the result of a negligent adult, call our offices and schedule a free case evaluation today.
Why Work with Colson Hicks Eidson
For more than 50 years, Colson Hicks Eidson has gained notoriety and prestige handling local, national, and international litigation. Our personal injury attorneys have extensive experience in high-stakes litigation. We have access to the resources you need to support your claim and secure the compensation you deserve:
- We have recovered over $1 billion in settlements and verdicts for our clients
- We are a nationally-recognized, award-winning firm
- We are one of the top litigation firms in the country
If your child has suffered an injury due to the neglectful actions of a caretaker, call our child injury attorneys today to discuss the details of your case and the best course of action.
Free Attorney Advice for Child Injuries Nationwide
Whether your child’s injuries resulted from a defective product, the careless actions of a caregiver, or an inattentive driver, our attorneys understand what it takes to show the full impact on your child and family. We consider not only past and future medical care but also the cost of home renovations, necessary therapies, and even lost future wages. Contact our child injury lawyers today to schedule a free initial consultation. We have law offices in Washington DC, New Orleans, and Miami.