No one ever expects to suffer devastating, catastrophic injuries. When you have endured injuries of this nature, it is easy to feel overwhelmed and scared of what the future might bring. You might be critically injured, but you can still protect yourself and your family.
When someone else is responsible for causing an accident that resulted in your catastrophic injury, you have the right to full compensation. You do not have to go through these difficult times on your own. Let an experienced catastrophic injury attorney at Colson Hicks Eidson advocate for your rights.
Common Causes of Catastrophic Injuries
Sadly, under the worst of circumstances, nearly any type of accident can cause a catastrophic injury. With that being said, there are several kinds of accidents we see in court that occur more often than others. These include:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Work injuries
- Construction accidents
- Premises liability accidents
- Dog bites
- Defective products
Of course, there are many other types of accidents and incidents that are capable of causing catastrophic injuries. If you are unsure whether you have grounds for a claim, contact our office for in-depth analysis with a catastrophic injury lawyer.
Compensation for Victims of a Catastrophic Injury
When you have suffered a catastrophic injury, your life may be changed forever. You have the right to be compensated for every single loss. Many catastrophic injury victims assume that they can only be repaid for financially based, or economic damages. These often consist of:
- Loss of future potential earnings
- Loss of income
- Unexpected child care expenses
- Costs of household maintenance
- Increased insurance premiums
- Medical expenses and equipment
- Property damage
But when you have been catastrophically injured, you also have the right to be compensated for non-financial, or non-economic damages. Some common non-economic damages that are awarded in catastrophic injury claims include:
- Pain and suffering
- Lost quality of life
- Loss of companionship and love
- Reputational damage
- Mental anguish
- Scarring and disfigurement
It is also possible that you could be awarded punitive damages. The courts may determine that such an award is necessary when the defendant’s actions are considered reprehensible or grossly negligent. You can think of punitive damages as the court system’s way of punishing liable parties and sending a message to the public that such actions are not going to be tolerated by the court.
Your catastrophic injury lawyer will consider all of the ways your life has been turned upside down by your injuries in order to accurately calculate the value of your claim.
Why Choose Colson Hicks Eidson to Represent Your Catastrophic Injury Case?
Colson Hicks Eidson is a nationally-recognized personal injury firm with a long track record of success. With over 50 years of experience, our dedicated personal injury attorneys:
- Provide aggressive representation and skilled high-stakes litigation
- Have secured more than $1 billion in settlements and verdicts for our clients
- Have ranked as a Top Litigation Firm in the country years running
- Provide responsive communication throughout the claims process
If you or a loved one have sustained a life-altering, catastrophic injury, schedule a consultation with our award-winning legal team.
Why Do You Need a Florida Catastrophic Injury Attorney
Catastrophic injury claims are highly complex due to the higher financial stakes and intense medical scrutiny. Most accident victims are easily overwhelmed by the process, accepting settlements far lower than they deserve.
According to the study, Financial Hardship After Traumatic Injury: Risk Factors and Drivers of Out-of-Pocket Health Expense:
- 1 in 8 families will suffer an economic hardship after suffering a serious injury
- The economic hardship was characterized as excessive “financial burden and catastrophic medical expenses:”
- More than 40% of their annual income
Due to the financial hardship, catastrophic injury victims may risk losing their homes, credit, and standard of living if they do not receive a settlement that is fair for their injuries.
Our Florida catastrophic injury attorneys are some of the top litigators in the country. We have the skills and experience to fight for your rights and overcome the numerous challenges of catastrophic injury claims.
Catastrophic injury claims are more varied and difficult for the following reasons:
- The financial impact on an injury victim is greater:
Life-altering injuries like amputations or permanent paralysis place a greater financial burden on the victim:
- Catastrophic injuries may require home and vehicle modifications
- Victims may suffer greater psychological damage and require therapy for chronic depression or PTSD
- The need for continued medical care, like regular treatment for bedsores, additional surgeries, and prosthetic limbs
- Catastrophic injuries lead to permanent physical and cognitive deficits:
Catastrophic injuries can permanently damage a person’s body and mind:
- Loss of senses, like sight and hearing
- Loss of function, like removing a major organ or loss of limb
- Impaired reasoning skills and memory
- Many catastrophic injuries result in the permanent disability of the victim and lead to greater scrutiny of medical records and other supportive evidence:
The monetary total for catastrophic injuries is exponentially higher than the average personal injury claim. As the value of a catastrophic injury claim rises, so does the level of scrutiny over medical evidence. Catastrophic injury lawyers must have access to medical experts and physicians who can support intricate and comprehensive medical evidence. Also, the likelihood and pressure to defend against injuries in court are much higher. Insurance companies are less willing to settle when valuing life-long medical expenses and other recoverable damages for permanent physical or cognitive functions.
Colson Hicks Eidson has handled numerous high-profile cases and continues to meet or exceed client expectations. Call our personal injury lawyers in Florida today if you or a loved one have suffered a catastrophic injury due to negligence.
Reach Out To a Catastrophic Injury Lawyer Today
When you have suffered a catastrophic injury and you are not sure where to turn for help, contact an experienced catastrophic injury lawyer at Colson Hicks Eidson.
Our firm proudly offers free, no-obligation consultations to catastrophic injury victims across the state. Take advantage of this opportunity when you fill out our quick contact form. Or call our office at 305-476-7400 to get started on your claim.