Hurt by a Defective Product?
Our Miami Product Liability Lawyer is a National Authority on Design and Defect Litigation
If you used a product as directed and suffered an injury as a result, you could have a valid products liability claim.
Many of our Florida product liability attorneys have acted as leaders in several high-profile product liability suits that received nationwide attention.
Partner and product liability lawyer Lewis S. “Mike” Eidson is a nationally recognized authority in the field of product liability law. He served as the national co-lead counsel in the Ford Explorer/Firestone tire litigation over tire blowouts that caused serious SUV rollovers. He is a former president of the Association of Trial Lawyers of America (now the American Association for Justice – the world’s largest trial bar) and chaired its products liability and aviation law sections. He was also chairman of the Institute for Injury Reduction and authored the textbook, Defective Product: Evidence to Verdict, with a foreword by renowned consumer advocate Ralph Nader.
Our product liability attorneys are actively involved in litigation involving the design and manufacturing of motor vehicles, airplanes, trains, glass bottles, tires, all terrain vehicles, motorcycles, pharmaceutical products, medical devices, machinery, construction equipment, boats, scuba diving equipment, farm equipment, electrical components, toys and various other consumer products.
In addition to helping victims recover after a defective product causes unimaginable harm, we have won a number of defective product cases and personal injury lawsuits that affected change throughout the nation’s legal system.
Leading Auto Defect Product Liability Attorneys
In addition to winning the first Ford Pinto gas tank design case in the country, our firm has successfully handled numerous other defective auto component claims against major automobile and tire manufacturers, including:
- Ford Motor Company
- General Motors
The outcomes of these cases have resulted in higher safety standards in the automotive industry, including bettering SUV rollover stability; tire design and manufacturing; and the design of gas tanks, seat belts, child restraint seats, door handles, emergency brakes and a number of other vehicle components.
Our efforts also led to a nationwide recall by Chrysler Corporation of its minivan due to defective door latches on certain models. Additionally, we were on the nine-member personal injury/wrongful death leadership committee in the multidistrict litigation against Toyota Motor Corp over sudden unintended acceleration.
Our Florida Product Liability Lawyer Was First to Take Chinese Drywall Lawsuit to Court
Our product liability lawyers served on the national plaintiff’s steering committee for litigation surrounding high-sulfur Chinese drywall linked to odor and metal corrosion in new home construction, and we were instrumental in securing multiple settlements on behalf of hundreds of homeowners.
We also tried the nation’s first defective Chinese drywall case in the country resulting in a $2.5 million verdict.
Successful Results for Defective Product Lawsuits
- Nation’s First Defective Chinese Drywall Jury Trial: In June 2010, the firm represented a Miami couple in the nation’s first defective Chinese drywall jury trial against Banner Supply Company, a Miami-based firm that supplied the vast majority of Chinese drywall in Florida. Jurors found Banner liable for knowingly selling the defective drywall used in the couple’s home and awarded $2.5 million in damages. The verdict would later be instrumental in achieving a $55 million class action settlement with Banner on behalf of homeowners and an $80 million class action settlement with insurance companies for many of the builders and installers of the toxic material.
- Chinese Drywall Multidistrict Litigation: As part of the Plaintiff Steering Committee, our law firm has been instrumental in securing multiple settlements on behalf of hundreds of homeowners whose homes were affected by tainted Chinese drywall. This includes an $800 million to $1 billion settlement with Knauf Plasterboard Tianjin, a major manufacturer of defective drywall imported from China. We also secured a $55 million Florida class action settlement with Banner Supply Company.
- Ford-Firestone: The firm has worked on approximately 250 consolidated personal injury lawsuits and class action cases against Ford and Bridgestone/Firestone Inc. stemming from accidents in which the tread peeled off Firestone defective tires, leading to rollover accidents in Ford Explorers. To date, the firm has settled cases for more than 200 clients involving 40 separate accidents worldwide and assisted in hundreds of other cases in preparation and recovery.
Recent Defective Product Recalls
- DePuy Hip Replacement System: By the time Johnson & Johnson recalled the DePuy ASR Acetabular Hip Replacement System in August 2010, the medical supply giant had already known about the problems with the system for two years. Made from a metal that can actually deteriorate, the hip implants have a five-year failure rate, and the thousands who have the implants now suffer dislocations and fractures and require costly, painful revision surgeries.
- Zimmer Holdings: Medical device manufacturer Zimmer Holdings, Inc. faces similar criticisms of its NexGen CR-Flex Knee Replacement devices. Two prominent surgeons in Chicago have called for the device’s recall because of the high failure rate.
- Other medical products that can cause serious injury or illness include Fixodent Dental Cream, which has caused zinc poisoning and neuropathy, and a host of prescription drugs, including the acne drug Accutane and the popular birth control pill, Yaz.
Product Liability Lawyer Teams in Florida Handling Nationwide Defective Product Cases
When a faulty product seriously injures you or kills a loved one, you want to a hire the best attorney and one with decades of successful results in product liability law. Contact our personal injury law firm today, and for no charge we can explain your legal options. There is hope for recovery in your future, and it starts with a single phone call.