Miami Bike Accident Attorney on Safe Cycling Tips
Cycling in Florida is notoriously dangerous. In one year, over one hundred cyclists died in Florida, and Miami averages about six fatal bike accidents annually. This is far from typical for most states. In fact, Florida is consistently ranked among the most dangerous states for cyclists in America. Despite efforts from local bicycling advocates, the situation does not seem to be improving. Our Miami bike accident attorney offers this resource about potential dangers as well as bicycle safety tips to keep in mind while you are biking in Miami.
Our bike accident attorneys have gained over a billion dollars in compensation for those devastated by the negligence of others. Due to taking many of our personal injury cases on contingency attorney fee agreements, gaining legal representation for your claim comes without financial risks. If we are not successful in gaining compensation for your bike accident claim, then you do not owe any attorney fees. There is no risk and absolutely no costs to learning if you have the ability to gain injury compensation for your damages, including medical bills, lost wages and other expenses caused by the bike crash.
If you are the unfortunate victim of a bike accident injury, speak with an attorney at the nationally recognized personal injury law firm of Colson Hicks Eidson about your legal rights as a cyclist. You may be able to file a personal injury lawsuit against the careless driver or another party for causing your involvement in a Miami bike accident.
Why Do Miami Bicycle Accidents Happen?
The risk of a bike accident injury in Florida, and particularly Miami, is enormous. Even when bicyclists take all necessary precautions, they still face significant threats, especially in high traffic areas. This problem has plagued Miami for decades. Cycling experts as well as city planners point to the following issues as possibly contributing to the city being dangerous for cyclists:
- Unaccommodating infrastructure – Miami is set up almost exclusively to handle vehicle traffic. Miami roads have scarce bike lanes in comparison with other major cities. Another source of bicycle accident problems is the way large highways connect through the center of town, which are not ideal or safe for cyclists.
- Reckless driving – Speeding and drunk driving are major problems in Miami. When combined with streets that do not allow enough room for cyclists, a bike accident injury is often the result.
- Lack of public transportation – The Miami public transit system does not reach as many areas as it should. This means many workers rely on bicycles and are forced to bike despite unsafe conditions.
The Most Dangerous Areas to Bike in Miami
Cyclists in Miami are involved in accidents all over the city, but certain areas are more commonly involved in Miami bike accidents. Some of the more dangerous areas to bike in Miami include:
- The MacArthur Causeway
- Crandon Boulevard
- Rickenbacker Causeway
- Main Highway
- Coconut Grove
- Southwest Miami Dade County
- Key Biscayne
- Miami Beach
These areas are essential to countless bike riders who need to get from home to work every day, run errands and recreational bicycling. However, these roads can also present a daily danger of being involved in a serious Miami bike accident.
Is it Safe to Ride a Bicycle in Miami? Safe Cycling Tips
Riding a bicycle in Miami is not always the safest or easiest means of transportation. While you cannot change the fact that there are careless and unaccommodating drivers on Miami roads or streets, cyclists can take some steps to help prevent bicycle crashes.
Some safety tips for cycling in Miami include:
- Familiarize yourself with Florida bike laws.
- Always ride with traffic, never against. Stay to the right side of the road.
- Bike helmets can help save lives. Always make sure to wear a properly fitted bicycle helmet.
- Always be predictable. Do not make sudden maneuvers that drivers are not prepared to handle.
- Be aware of your surroundings and ride defensively.
- Wear bright colors, especially at night.
- Avoid riding at night whenever possible.
- Use bike lights at night, and have reflectors on your bike.
- When turning, use hand signals.
- Inspect your bicycle brakes regularly to ensure they are in good shape.
- Do research to find the safest routes to your destination.
Miami Bicycle Injury Law Firm Will Fight for Fair Bike Accident Injury Compensation
It is important to try to adopt the above bicycle safety tips every time you set out on your bike. However, unfortunately, Miami bicycle accidents can happen no matter how safe you are being. When a crash occurs, you should contact an experienced bike accident attorney for information about your best legal options.
The Miami bicycle injury law firm of Colson Hicks Eidson is dedicated to helping cyclists after Miami bike accidents. Several of our personal injury attorneys are also cyclists. They understand how scary just the thought of a Miami bike accident can be. We want to help those seriously injured because of careless drivers and unsafe roads. To speak with a bike accident attorney in Miami about your ability to seek a financial recovery for a bike accident injury, contact our Florida bicycle injury law firm today.